SRVD Scholarship Winners 2015
Makala-Hopkins Davis, shown here with her poster outlining how she beat obesity by becoming a farmer, was one of the 2015 recipients of the SRVD $500 scholarship. The other recipient of a scholarship was John Rooker.
Each year, SRVD provides at least one $500 hortacultural scholarship to a local junior college student. If funding is available, an additional scholarship may be provided. Students are eligible to apply if they are enrolled in one of the junior colleges listed to the right within the Sacramento River Valley District, and enrolling in a horticultural related field in the fall of the upcoming year. Interested students should complete the application and submit it with the required documentation by mail to SRVD Scholarship Chair, Nancy Compton,15256 Nueva Drive, Rancho Murieta, CA 95683. All applications must be postmarked by April 30, 2016.
CRITERIA AND PROCESS FOR APPLYING
- Compose a paragraph, or more, on a separate piece of paper and attach it to the application. Please explain why you chose the horticultural related field of study. Feel free to share additional information that would assist the selection committee on your behalf.
- Be willing to speak to the members of SRVD at their May district meeting and to receive the scholarship check at that time.
- Include two letters of recommendation from college instructors, counselor, religious leader, employer, or other adult who can speak to your qualifications.
- Provide a copy of your most recent college classes. Must indicate currently taking 6 units, be returning to school in the fall, and have a 3.0 G.P.A or higher.
- Completed paperwork must be received by the deadline of April 30th.
- Time your requests for letters of recommendation carefully. Best is to initiate your request after the midterm grades are in. That way your instructors will have enough to go on about your performance. They should be able to complete your letter before semester end.
- Email your draft, or final essay, to them so that your professors have your background information. Offer to write your own letter, to revise their draft.
- Good fortune to you!
For further inquiries contact, SRVD Scholarship Chair, Nancy Compton, Assistant Director, River Valley Garden Club. Home: (916) 354-0354 Cell: (916) 600-1992 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Scholarship Opportunity from California Garden Clubs, Inc
An established fund provides scholarships for college juniors & seniors with noted accomplishments, or students who have completed two years of college, who plan careers in botany, conservation, entomology, floriculture, forestry, horticulture, landscape architecture, plant biology and/or plant genetics, urban planning, or research in allied fields. The CGCI Scholarships Co-Chairmen are:
1129 W. Standley Street
Ukiah, CA 95482-4230
Phone: 707-462-8141 707-462-8141
Phone: 602-418-2900 602-418-2900
Both of these Co-Chairmen can provide information about these scholarships. Donations, memorials or gifts are greatly appreciated.